Friday, April 11, 2014

Lifestyle Change Update One!...

Hello friends! So like I said about three weeks ago I am going to give you an update of how my 'lifestyle change' has been going. I started March 25th and it is now April 11th (making it about three weeks) and my results are that I've lost ten pounds. A pretty good start if I do say so myself (if I do say so myself, if I do say so myself....pun intended.) At the beginning it was kind of hard because I had to give up all junk food and coffee (dying.) I thought I was going to go through a withdrawal because I literally had at least two coffees a day and now I haven't had one cup in three weeks. Also, at night when I feel like having something sweet or salty - I've had to tell myself no and have something that's healthier for a snack. Whenever I get a craving where I just want to eat some ice cream or have some chips I just tell myself that it's only going to be like this for a few months and then I can treat myself. I also keep a Victoria Secret bathing suit that I bought for myself hanging on my wall that gives me motivation. My goal is to fit into it by July.

One thing that I've learned about changing my lifestyle is that the only thing that you need to fear is yourself. I've come to a realization that there's nothing in the way or stopping me from getting what I want - except me. Food is just food. Sure it tastes amazing and smells incredible but if you think about it, you chew it, swallow it down, digest it and then it's gone and forgotten fifteen minutes later.
Over the past three weeks I have learned to only eat when I am hungry. To be honest, I have gotten into such a habit of eating three meals a day and two snacks that I don't even think about eating until I can feel my stomach gurgling.

For exercise I've started walking with my mom at least three times a week. We walk about 5k each time so that's about 15k a week. I also try to go to yoga once a week too, which is very strengthening for the body. Doing other physical activities besides dragging yourself to the gym is good because you don't get bored. For me, the hardest part is just getting to the gym - once I'm there I'm good. Walking is something that is fun because I can look at the scenery, talk with my mom and just enjoy the outdoors.

Drinking water is also something that I've started to increase. I always drank water in the past - it was rare that I had juice or anything else, but now I aim to drink four bottles a day. One in the morning before noon, one after noon, one around dinner and one at night. I always put a Crystal Light in my third water bottle as sort of a reward for drinking two bottles and so I don't get bored of just drinking plain water all day.

As for food I've taken pictures of most of my meals so I can talk about the things I eat for each meal...



For breakfast I usually have fruit - mostly berries like strawberries, blackberries and blueberries. Sometimes I'll have an apple and adding a little bit of cinnamon tastes really delicious. Days when I don't feel like fruit I'll make scrambled egg whites with vegetables like peppers, zucchini, mushrooms and onion or I'll make a turkey and cheese scrambled egg white which is really good as well. There's also this type of flat bread called "matzah bread" and I'll sometimes have a piece of that with low fat cream cheese. 


I've been waking up really early recently so I eat breakfast at 8 or 9 o'clock and by the time it's 11 o'clock I don't want to eat lunch just yet so I have a snack. If I don't have fruit for breakfast then I'll have some berries for a snack. Since I have given up coffee I have started drinking tea - my favourite is vanilla rooibos from Starbucks. Green tea is also really good and it's also really healthy and cleans out your system. Other snacks that I have are jello cups. Jello is also really good for when I get a sugar craving, I'll have one of these and my craving will be satisfied. 



For lunch there are many options of what I eat. Sometimes I'll have a salad - either spinach leaves or head lettuce. I'll put some vegetables in and chicken or turkey and top it off with low fat italian dressing. I also really like making tuna salad on Ryvita snack breads topped with bean sprouts. Lettuce wraps are another option - romain lettuce leaves with diced vegetables and low fat italian dressing. I also have had quesadillas with Kraft no fat cheese slices and chicken or turkey. 

For dinner I always have some sort of protein so that I won't be hungry through out the night. Stir fry with chicken or scallops is really good. I've recently been in a soup mood so I've been making my own home made soups. I'll put chicken, spinach, broccoli, bean sprouts (because they are like noodles,) onions and zucchini. When I have soup I'll usually make a small whole wheat tortilla with either oregano or cream cheese on it. I have also made chicken nachos with a whole wheat tortilla, salsa, chicken, onions, peppers and Kraft no fat cheese slices. When I feel like fish I'll make tilapia with vegetables and tomatoes (tomatoes and tilapia goes really good together.) I've also made home made onion rings - onions dipped in egg whites and covered with crushed melba toast. When I get tired of chicken and fish I'll make mini turkey burgers and a side salad. 


Dessert, everyone's favourite meal.. because I have been eliminating all junk foods and sweets I have had to improvise when it comes to dessert. I came up with a 'mock crepe' idea. I cut up apples and roll them up in a whole wheat tortilla. Then I microwave it for about 45 seconds and the apples become very soft. I cover the tortilla with a bit of greek yogurt, fruit and some cinnamon. It's very tasty. I also found this chocolate sauce that is called 'Walden's Chocolate Syrup'. It's literally no calories, no fat, no sugar and glutton free. I dip strawberries in the sauce, refrigerate them for 30 minutes and I have my own healthy chocolate dipped strawberries. 

Something that is very important when watching your diet is portion sizes. You can eat chicken and vegetables for dinner but if you over do the amount you are eating, it's not going to work. Here are the amount of portions I have each day of food. 

Protein - 7 oz a day (not all in one meal) 

Vegetables - 16 oz a day

Fruit - 10 oz a day

Bread Substitutes - 2 different portions (when I say bread substitutes I mean tortillas, crackers, melba toast, matzah bread - anything that isn't actually bread) 

That is pretty much the amount of food I eat in one day. It's very filling if you portion it out right. 

So here's my first update for my lifestyle change, I'll be sure to update again soon with new results. Thanks for reading! 
PS.. I've added a poll on my blog where you can rate it! Take the poll and tell me what you think of my blog! 

1 comment:

  1. this is fantastic Alex. Good job, and the food looks DELISH!!!!!.. Sooooo proud of you, and i Love our walks & talks, gets me in shape as well. Can't wait for your next up-date. That bikini is going to look amazing on you. Keep up the motivation, it's working <3<3

    ReplyDelete